ALBC Verified Seed Standard
Quality control and traceability are essential elements in the production of farm-processed seed, and the NAAC has taken a proactive role in establishing an independently audited quality standard for mobile seed processing contractors.
This covers the quality of service which the contractor provides.
Mobile seed processing contractors and their customers must co-operate to ensure that a safe, traceable seed processing service can take place. The Scheme offers customers genuine assurance about the activity of contractors. Contractors will only be certified if they can meet the appropriate standards.
In addition to the NAAC’s Verified Seed Specific Standard, the contractor must also have been assessed against the NAAC Assured Land-Based Contractor (Generic) Standard in the current scheme year. Please note, certification cannot be granted without conformity with the generic and seed standards.
The NAAC scheme is designed to help contractors involved in the mobile processing of seed to identify the hazards and critical control points of the process. These critical control points will include:
- Ensuring that personnel involved in seed processing are suitably skilled;
- Ensuring that seed materials are traceable and are free from harmful contamination;
- Providing appropriate storage for raw materials;
- Ensuring that processing equipment is regularly and appropriately maintained and cleaned;
- Adopting production processes, such as record keeping, which ensures full traceability;
- Identifying and controlling hazards which might occur.
The scheme will establish a framework of good and safe working practices to be verified by independent external assessors that will enable members of the scheme to produce a safe, fully traceable seed to meet the requirements of any national quality assurance programmes.
The scheme is open to NAAC members and non-members, and the Association will provide contractors with the appropriate support and advice.
VIEW THE VERIFIED SEED STANDARD
To find out more or to organise an audit and become a professional ALBC contractor contact the NAAC